Thursday, September 13, 2012

Trip Blog Post


Trip Blog Post

            My initial answer for the trip problem was Aà 60km/h. I thought this was definitely the correct answer. I basically just averaged all the numbers together. Honestly, I didn’t use much of a process to think of the answer, I just sort of added and divided a couple numbers together and assumed that the number I got was the right answer.
            In class, however, after talking to my classmates, it was very clear that my answer was incorrect. It was brought to my attention that I left out the concept of time completely. One of the formulas I kept in mind to figure out the answer was;
Velocity= Distance/Time. The goal was for the motorist to go an average of 40 kilometers per hour. However, they had already gone for an hour and had averaged only 30 kilometers, therefore, the goal for reaching 40 kilometers per hour would have to be completed in a faster amount of time than the speed of light which would be virtually impossible.
            The correct answer was Dàfaster than the speed of light. I solved this by breaking each distance the motorist traveled into time frames. In the beginning, the motorist went 20 km with an average speed of 40km/h. The next distance he travels is only 10km averaging only 20km/h. The goal was for the motorist to go 40km/h in the last 10km. So, I took all of these factors into considering and used the formula that velocity=distance/time. I didn’t really use plug anything into that formula, however, writing it down reminded me to take time into consideration. So, that’s what I did. I realized that it had already taken the car an hour, therefore, the time that had been lost had to be made up into the idea that the car would move faster than the speed of light in order to maintain an average of 40km/h.
            At the beginning, looking at this problem, I was overwhelmed and the first few times reading over it I just couldn’t comprehend the idea. However, I learned that if you write all the equations relevant and you write all the numbers and problems out beneath the question it helps you to organize your thoughts as well as gain you points. 

No comments:

Post a Comment